When the Siren Sounds
The City of Zeeland outdoor warning sirens are used to notify citizens of severe weather conditions or for a need to evacuate due to an accident or spill involving hazardous materials.
- Severe Weather: Warning sirens will sound for 3 minutes. You are urged to seek immediate shelter wherever you are, in the basement or lowest floor level and in a small space located away from windows and outside walls.
- Hazardous Material Accident or Spill: Warning sirens will sound for three minutes and may be repeated several times. Tune in to a local radio or TV station for instructions.
When Provided With Additional Instructions
- If informed to shelter in place: close all windows and doors, turn off all fans and remain inside.
- If requested to evacuate: Quickly gather prescription medication if possible and immediately proceed to a designated safe area as noted by Emergency Management radio or TV instructions.
Where to Find Helpful Information
- Local Radio Stations: 1450 AM, 1260 AM
- Television: WOOD -TV 8, WZZM-TV 13, WKZO-TV 3, FOX-TV 17
Before an event occurs, it helps to be prepared with some of the following tips:
- Have an emergency plan in place.
- Identify a location for family members to meet.
- Have a flashlight, extra batteries, and duct tape to seal windows and doors, portable radio, bottled water available.