building dates back to 1881 when it served as a rural school for
children in the Zeeland/Holland Township area. It was constructed of the
locally made cream and red "Veneklasen" brick with inlay patterns
familiar throughout our area. The school served the community for more
than 70 years, closing its doors in 1952 when the new New Groningen
School was opened nearby.
Restored in 2011, the New Groningen Schoolhouse is
open for tours, school field trips, business meetings, family