Check out one of our Mobile Hotspot devices to bring Wi-Fi with you everywhere you go! No more worries about Internet connection up north or at the campsite. Even better—no more teenagers using up all your data on long car rides! Hotspots are checked out for 1 week. $1 per day overdue fine.* You must be 18 and older with a valid library card in your name to check out a hotspot.
*There are no fines on any material until September 1, 2021.
Q: Can I check out a mobile hotspot?
A: You must be over the age of 18, have a valid library card in good standing, and present a current photo ID. You must also sign a borrowing agreement each time you check out a hotspot.
Q: What is a mobile hotspot?
A: A mobile hotspot provides internet access by creating a Wi-Fi network using the same cellular signal as a smartphone.
Q: What devices can I use with a mobile hotspot?
A: You can use nearly any Wi-Fi capable device with the mobile hotspots. Up to fifteen (15) devices can be connected simultaneously.
Q: Where can I use a mobile hotspot?
A: Nearly anywhere! We generally have good 4G coverage in our area and the built-in battery removes the need for power access. Our mobile hotspots are from T-Mobile. Check for T-Mobile coverage here.
Q: Is my information secure when using a mobile hotspot?
A: The Wi-Fi network created by the hotspot is encrypted, so your information can generally be considered safe. Please note that we cannot guarantee the security of your information, and that you should always exercise caution on the internet, especially when accessing it wirelessly.
Q: How long do hotspots check out for?
A: Mobile hotspots check out for one week.
Q: Can I reserve a hotspot?
A: You can place a hold on a hotspot, but you cannot specify a certain date to pick up a hotspot. In order to place a hotspot on hold you can follow this link or call the library at (616) 772-0874.
Q: Do mobile hotspots need to be plugged in to a power outlet?
A: Mobile hotspots have built-in batteries so that you can use them nearly anywhere. They do need to be periodically charged just like a cell phone.
Q: What do I do if I experience problems using a mobile hotspot from the Howard Miller Library?
A: First, look at the resources available on our website and follow the directions for troubleshooting. Do not attempt to open the device or modify it in any way. If you are still experiencing problems, call us at (616) 772 0874.
Mobile hotspot won't power on
- Check the charging indicator lights up when you're charging your mobile hotspot. It can take up to 20 minutes for a charging indication when the battery is depleted.
- Plug the mobile hotspot into the charger, and then plug the charger into a wall outlet. If the device shows that it's charging, try to power it on. If the device won't charge or power on, contact us.
Can't connect to a mobile hotspot
- Turn off the mobile hotspot.
- Wait 5 seconds and then turn on the mobile hotspot.
- Try connecting to the hotspot again. If you still can't connect to the mobile hotspot, contact us.
Mobile hotspot drops connected device
- Check the following is true for your connected devices:
- They are within 15 feet of the mobile hotspot.
- They have a B and G Wi-Fi radio.
- They don't have a Wi-Fi timeout function.
- Turn off the mobile hotspot.
- Wait 5 seconds and turn on the mobile hotspot.
- Connect a device to the mobile hotspot.
- Test for dropped connections. If the mobile hotspot still drops a connected device, contact us.
Internet and data issues when using a mobile hotspot
- Check the following:
- You're in T-Mobile coverage.
- Your mobile hotspot is turned on and has signal. If it doesn't have signal, check out Signal issues or no service.
- You can connect to your mobile hotspot from your computer or phone.
- You don't have any programs running in the background on your computer. Apps running in the background can cause a slow browsing experience, especially if they use an Internet connection.
- If multiple devices are connected, check for browsing issues on the other connected devices. If only one device has browsing issues, then the issue isn't with the mobile hotspot.
- Clear the browser history and try accessing a different website or app.
- If you can access a different website or app, then your mobile hotspot is working as expected.
- If you can't access a different website or app, continue troubleshooting.
- Turn off your mobile hotspot and restart your computer.
- Wait 5 seconds and turn on your mobile hotspot.
- Connect to your mobile hotspot.
- Test the connection. If you're still experiencing the problem, contact us.
Hotspots can only be picked up at the Howard Miller Public Library. So if you pick your holds up at a different library you cannot use the online catalog to place a hold.
Our hotspots are very popular. We recommend placing a hold early enough to have the hold trigger before the day you leave (at least a week before you need it). Holds can wait on the shelf for 7 days before they go to the next patron.
You can place a hold on a hotspot, but you cannot specify a certain date to pick up a hotspot. In order to place a hotspot on hold you can follow this link or call the library at (616) 772-0874. Be sure that you are placing a hold for Mobile Hot Spot.
Updated on November 11, 2020