What is OverDrive?
OverDrive by Rakuten is a library app that allows card holders to download ebooks and audiobooks straight to your device! This app allows Howard Miller card holders to check out five books at a time and have five holds. Books are checked out to patrons for two weeks. Like books checked out from the library, if there are holds on the book you cannot renew that book but can be placed back on hold for it. We highly recommend using the Libby app for all devices*.
What is Libby?
Libby is OverDrive's all-in-one app. She collects all of your current checkouts and lets you search and checkout the OverDrive collection. It is easier to borrow and download books on Libby than it is on OverDrive.
How do I get started on Libby?
On your computer:
- Go to https://lakeland.overdrive.com
- Scroll down until you see "Meet Libby."
- If you do not have a MacBook, choose the Microsoft option. Any Apple Device owners should choose the App Store.
- Download the app. It is now an icon on your computer.
On your device*:
Go to the app store for your device and search for "Libby by OverDrive". Download the app!
Signing up for Libby - Get your library card ready!
Libby is great at helping you sign up via the app. It is important that you look at your library card to see if you are Howard Miller or Herrick card holder. If your card is a Herrick District Library card you need to choose "Midwest Collaborative for Library Services" and not Lakeland Library Cooperative.
*Kindle Fires are not capable with Libby at this time. You can download the OverDrive app on the Fire, or use a smart phone/tablet/computer to send ebooks to your Kindle to read.
If you need to use OverDrive here is how to sign up:
- Go to https://lakeland.overdrive.com or the app store and download OverDrive (we only recommend this if you are on a Kindle Fire).
- Click Sign in.
- Select Howard Miller from the list.
- Enter your card number and you're in!
Checking out books through the OverDrive app is not as easy as it is on the Libby app.